Welcome to the Children and Family Ministries Parent Resource page. As we journey through the experience of parenthood together, here are some resources that will help along the way. New topics and resources will be added over time so feel free to check back frequently.
We have added a Parent Resource Wall to the Children’s Area at Manchester UMC. Feel free to browse our selection of books and pamphlets that can be borrowed for up to 2 weeks. This area is based on Phase Project – It’s Just a Phase by Kristen Ivy, Reggie Joiner, and Orange (thinkorange.com).
Resources for Bullying/Cyberbullying
- PACER’s National Bullying Prevention Center – Together We Can Create A World Without Bullying
- Scholastic Parents – Anti-Bullying Resources for Parents, Teachers, and Kids
- Children’s Book: Llama Llama and the Bully Goat by Anna Dewdney
- Children’s Book: The Invisible Boy by Trudy Ludwig
Resources for Sexual Abuse
- The Mama Bear Effect – Talking about sexual abuse is easier than you think
Resources for Intruder Training – 4E’s (Educate, Evade, Escape, and Engage)
Many teachers and students in our area are using an intruder training strategy called the 4E’s (Educate, Evade, Escape, and Engage). At Manchester UMC we have adopted this program as well for our Children and Youth Ministries. Here are links to learn more about the company that provides this training and how it is performed.
- Tier One Tactical Solutions, LLC – 4E’s
- Teacher Training Article – St. Louis Post Dispatch (By Jessica Bock)
Resources for the Loss of a Loved One
- Talking with Kids About Suicide – Psychology Today
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- Children’s Book: The Invisible String by Patrice Karst
- Children’s Book: The Goodbye Book by Todd Parr
- Children’s Book: Water Bugs and Dragonflies – Explaining Death to Young Children by Doris Stickner