Welcome to Manchester United Methodist Church Children and Family Ministries. At Manchester UMC, we offer many ways for children and families to grow in faith and knowledge of God. Our children and families are ALWAYS welcome, safe, and loved by our staff, volunteers, and of course by God. We hope you will join us as we continue to educate these wonderful ever-growing minds on their faith journeys.
Children’s 9:30 Sunday School
Sunday school is a place for ALL children to learn the story of God’s love, connect their own experiences to the Biblical stories, and to find a place to belong. Our Sunday school team presents fun and engaging age appropriate curriculum for our 2 year old – 5th grade classes.
Children’s Ministry Save the Dates
- “Preparing for Jesus Sunday” – Sunday, December 1st (9:30 Sunday School) – Help us prepare for Jesus’ birth as we kick-off the season of Advent together during Sunday school. Our students will learn all about Advent and how they can prepare for Jesus’ birth throughout the entire month of December.
- A Night in Bethlehem – The Miracle of Jesus – Friday, December 13th from 5:30-8:30 pm – Be transported back to Bethlehem, where the citizens can’t stop talking about Jesus’ birth! Experience hands-on multisensory activities as you visit the Bakery, Fisherman’s Pier, Spice Shoppe, Carpenter Shoppe, and so much more. Tickets: $5 per child (children 1 and under are free). Click here to learn more and register today!
- No Sunday School – Sunday, December 9th – Family Worship Day – (Gifts in White) – PRAYground at 9:30 & 11
- 3 pm Family Christmas Eve Service – Tuesday, December 24th – Join us for an interative and family-friendly service as we celebrate the birth of baby Jesus!
- No Sunday School – Sunday, December 29th – Family Worship Day –(Winter Break) – PRAYground at 9:30 & 11
- No Sunday School – Sunday, January 19th – Family Worship Day – (Martin Luther King Day Weekend) – PRAYground at 9:30 & 11
2019 – 2020 School Year Sunday School Teachers Needed!
Children’s Ministry staff is looking for those interested in helping to serve during our 9:30 Sunday school classes. This is a GREAT opportunity for you to work with our little ones and experience God through their eyes. Available serving positions include lead teachers (must be available 2x per month), assistant teachers, substitute teachers, and office helpers. Orientation and training is provided for volunteers, and all must be willing to be Safe Sanctuary certified. Please contact Linda Simino if you have any additional questions. We can’t wait to have you join our special team of caring and compassionate teaching disciples. Safe Sanctuary Certification (Click here for additional information)
Children Worshiping With You?
If your child regularly attends worship with you and would like to have his/her own worship materials, please sign up at the Children’s Welcome Center in the Narthex. There are worship boxes available for children ages 3 years-1st grade and worship packets for children attending 2nd-5th grade. These developmentally appropriate materials have been created to enhance children’s worship experience and to guide them in their understanding of the service. Also, read below about our new exciting worship experience called PRAYground!
Manchester UMC’s Friendship Class
Manchester UMC’s Friendship Class is a Sunday school program for members and visitors (high school – adulthood) with developmental delays. This group meets 2 Sundays per month from 11:00 a.m. – noon in room 219. Click here for registration and to learn more about this Sunday class opportunity.
What is PRAYground?
PRAYground is an environment designed to allow children to participate in quiet play while still listening to the message being provided during the sermon. This space is in the front of the sanctuary with activities geared towards 3 years old through 2nd grade. However, friends 3 years old through 5th grade are welcome to participate. Our friends will be near the front of the worship space so they can see and hear everything that is going on during the sermon.
How does PRAYground work?
All children are asked to participate in worship with their parents form the beginning of the service until the sermon (our current children’s worship packets are available to students at all services). Then, children will be invited over to the PRAYground area before the sermon begins. There will be many different quiet activities for the students to complete. After the sermon has ended, children will be dismissed back to their parents, so they can finish worship together as a family.
Our goal is to create an environment where families are encouraged to worship together, children are welcome in worship, and all members’ faiths are fueled at their individual levels. This also allows families to learn liturgical flow and teach proper worship behavior.PRAYground is a learning process for everyone, our children will make noise, but as Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” (Matthew 19:13-14). It is through the process of teaching them what worship looks like that they understand how to be active participants in the worship service.
When is PRAYground available?
During the 9:30 and 11:00 worship services. Regularly scheduled 9:30 Sunday school will continue, however we want to make sure we are meeting all of our student’s needs.
Do I join my child during the sermon?
Nope! We will have two safe sanctuary trained adults with your children during the entire sermon. They will be in charge of making sure everyone is actively engaged while still respecting the worship space.
How do I learn more?
Contact Chessey Brenton at [email protected] or 636-200-4731 for additional questions.
Director of Children and Family Ministries
Administrative Assistant – Children’s Education & Social Justice