Apple Butter Days
A Manchester UMC Tradition since 1957
Every fall for over sixty years, our church gathers together to make and sell apple butter by hand. We slice apples Friday morning and cook them Saturday in large kettles over wood fires. There are plenty of opportunities to help. You can also stop by to watch, or just stir a kettle. The parking lot will be filled with a great aroma on Saturday morning!
This year, all sales goes towards the Early Response Team ministry. This ministry participates in emergency response in partnership with the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR); in previous years, this ministry has provided critical help with flood relief and tornado relief in the region, as well as hurricane relief on the East Coast.
Apple Butter Days Timeline
Wednesday, October 5, 2022
- Pick Up Apples
Thursday, October 6, 2022
- 8am – Noon: Set Up Fellowship Hall #1
- Noon – 3pm: Move Inventory, Wash Jars
- Noon-4pm: Set up in Fellowship Hall #2
Friday, October 7, 2022
- 7:30am-Noon: Peel Apples
- 8am-Noon: Cut Apples
- 8am – 1pm: Runners
- 1-2:30pm: Takedown Fellowship Hall
Saturday, October 8, 2022
- 5:30am-9am: Stir Kettles – Part #1
- 8am-1pm: Canning Prep
- 9am-1pm: Stir Kettles – Part #2
- 11am-3pm: Canning Line and Tighten Jar Lids
- 3-4pm: Takedown and Clean Kitchen
Sunday, October 9, 2022
- 7-9am: Attach Jar Covers and Labels
- 8:30-10:30am: Apple Butter Sales Shift #1
- 10:30am-12:30pm: Apple Butter Sales Shift #2
Stay tuned for 2022 Volunteer Signup.
To learn more, contact John Himpel with any questions.