“We affirm all persons as equally valuable in the sight of God. We therefore work toward societies in which each person’s value is recognized, maintained, and strengthened.”
-United Methodist Social Principles paragraph 162.
The LGBTQ Reconciling Ministries Team is under the umbrella of Manchester UMC’s Social Justice Ministry. This is a team of laity and clergy who plan and implement Manchester UMC church programs focused on strengthening our welcome and inclusion of all people, especially those in the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning community.
Currently our United Methodist doctrine states that homosexuality is not compatible with Christian teaching, so while LGBTQ+ persons can join a UM church, they cannot be ordained or married in the church, per the
Full Book of Discipline Statements.
The following vision and mission statements were approved by the team in Dec. 2015.
Vision: That members of the LGBTQ+ community have the same rights, privileges and respect as all members of Manchester UMC by the year 2020.
Mission: To plan and implement Manchester UMC programs focused on strengthening the welcoming and inclusion of all, especially advocating for the LGBTQ+ community.
If your passion for doing God’s work extends to building relationships, being a change-maker and advocating for others, join the Reconciling Ministry Team! Our work starts here, but extends beyond our walls to make our world a better place. To get involved, please contact the Social Justice Administrative Assistant, Sherri Estes.
Additional Reconciling Communities
As our Welcome Statement asserts, Manchester UMC is an inclusive community welcoming diverse viewpoints. Our church has been organizing educational opportunities and discussions about this issue for several years. We are still in the process of discernment as a congregation. These groups within our church are reconciling communities:
- Alpha Group – Meets Sundays at 9:30 a.m. in room 311. Contact Terry Zenser.
- Youth LGBTQ+ – Contact Beth Boemler
LGBTQ+ Family Support Network
If you’re the parent, grandparent or guardian of an LGBTQ+ person(s) and would like to be part of a network of families that supports them in a kind, loving manner, this group is for you. We will share information and experiences. Meetings are monthly in a member’s home. For more info, please email Dave.
You can also “like” the Reconciling United Methodists of the MO Conference’s Facebook page.
Board of Church and Society: LGBTQ Rights
In the midst of denominational debates and disagreements over internal polity, the Church remains steadfast in support for laws in civil society that uphold the rights of LGBTQ people.
Click here to learn more!
UMC NEXT Proposal
Read the UMC Next Proposal here
UMC Next holds the following commitments:
- We long to be passionate followers of Jesus Christ, committed to a Wesleyan vision of Christianity, anchored in scripture and informed by tradition, experience and reason as we live a life of personal piety and social holiness.
- We commit to resist evil, injustice and oppression in all forms and toward all people and build a church which affirms the full participation of all ages, nations, races, classes, cultures, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities.
- We reject the Traditional Plan approved at General Conference 2019 as inconsistent with the gospel of Jesus Christ and will resist its implementation.
- We will work to eliminate discriminatory language and the restrictions and penalties in the Discipline regarding LGBTQ persons. We affirm the sacred worth of LGBTQ persons, celebrate their gifts, and commit to being in ministry together.
How can I find out more at the reconciling movement?